Tomahawk Community Bank, SSB, was formed as Tomahawk Building and Loan on March 29, 1920. In 1960 the name changed to Tomahawk Savings and Loan and was chartered as a mutual state thrift institution. In 1993, to better accommodate our customers, we changed our charter making us a state savings bank. As a result, we changed our name to Tomahawk Community Bank, SSB.
Tomahawk Building and Loan began its services at 25 West Wisconsin Avenue in a building shared with the V.E. L’Abbe Insurance Agency. Through the years, the Association had several "homes". In addition to being located in the L'Abbe office, the bank also held office hours in the Hufschmid Service Station Building and in the American Legion Building. In 1956, it moved to 207 West Wisconsin Avenue, the former Service Drug Store Building and in November 1959, the Tomahawk Building and Loan moved to its new office at 209 West Wisconsin Avenue.
In 1979, having a need for more space because of the growing business, a new facility was constructed at the current location of 15 East Wisconsin Avenue. Since 1979 several additions have been made to the original building. In the summer of 2000, we constructed a new 6 Lane Drive-up facility and in November 2003 completed our most recent addition to the facility which includes an upper level Professional Center with leased office space and a spacious Community Room for public use.
In 2016, we announced the exciting news that we entered into an agreement merging Merrill Federal Savings and Loan into Tomahawk Community Bank, bringing the two banks together. The partnership resulted in substantial benefits not only to our institutions, but our respective local communities, loan customers and depositor/owners as well.
Merrill Federal Savings and Loan Association (Merrill Federal), now known as Merrill Community Bank, was formed as a mutual corporation in October 1940 by a handful of Merrill residents for the sole purpose of providing home ownership to the area residents.
Merrill Federal began its service to the community in a small office building located at 925 East Main Street. They purchased and moved to 907 East Main Street in December 1953 and purchased the adjacent building for additional space in 1978.
Similar to Tomahawk Community Bank, when Merrill Federal was chartered, there was no intent by its organizers to personally profit by the organization. The merger of the two institutions ensured independent banking philosophy in terms of local lending decisions and other financial products continuing at both the Tomahawk and Merrill locations.
Tomahawk Community Bank and Merrill Community Bank are committed to "Community Banking without Boundaries" by serving the needs of our area communities.